Shipfitter / Fabricator
Ralmax Group of Companies has an exciting and immediate opening for a full-time Shipfitter in Victoria, British Columbia. He/she will have the ability to lay out and fabricate metal structural parts, for example plates, bulkheads, and frames, and braces them in position within hull of ship for welding. The Shipfitter will lay out position of parts on metal, working from blueprints or templates and using scribe and hand tools and also locates and marks reference lines, for example center, buttock, and frame lines. Positions parts in hull of ship.
- Lays out and fabricates metal structural parts, such as plates, bulkheads, and frames, and braces them in position within hull of ship for or welding: Lays out position of parts on metal, working from blueprints or templates and using scribe and hand tools.
- Locates and marks reference lines, such as center, buttock, and frame lines.
- Positions parts in hull of ship.
- Aligns parts in relation to each other, using jacks, turnbuckles, clips, wedges, and mauls.
- Marks location of holes to be drilled and installs temporary fasteners to hold part in place for welding.
- Installs packing, gaskets, liners, and structural accessories and members, such as doors, hatches, brackets, and clips.
- May prepare molds and templates for fabrication of nonstandard parts.
- May tack weld clips and brackets in place prior to permanent welding.
- May roll, bend, flange, cut, and shape plates, beams, and other heavy metal parts, using shop machinery, such as plate rolls, presses, bending brakes, and joggle machines.
Education and Experience
- Must hold a Journeyman's certificate, or have Red Seal;
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail;
- Ability to set goals and manage multiple projects and initiatives;
- Ability to set, commit to and meet deadlines;
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt to changing business needs;
- Mature, professional and optimistic attitude;
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment;
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing;
- Able to work well under pressure;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Mechanical: Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, benefits, repair, and maintenance Mathematics: Knowledge of numbers, their operations, and interrelationships including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Design: Knowledge of design techniques, principles, tools and instruments involved in the production and use of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Engineering and Technology: Knowledge of equipment, tools, mechanical devices, and their uses to produce motion, light, power, technology, and other applications
- Production and Processing: Knowledge of inputs, outputs, raw materials, waste, quality control, costs, and techniques for maximizing the manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Physical ability to lift up at least 50lbs;
- Travel to off-site locations may be required;
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Overtime as required;
- Hazards associated with the trade;
- Work both indoors and outdoors.
- We invite all interested parties to apply by emailing your cover letter and resume in the strictest confidence to email@example.com.