Health, Safety, and Environmental Advisor
Ralmax Contracting / Chew Excavating are industrial businesses and part of the Ralmax Group of Companies. We offer competitive wages and benefits package, professional development and a great company culture.
The Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE) Advisor is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive range of employee health and safety programs and services to meet the goals and legal obligations for Ralmax Contracting / Chew Excavating. These functions include, but may not be limited to, the assessment, facilitation and evaluation of injury prevention, environmental safety, occupational health and safety, employee wellness and the development, implementation and consultation on safety policies, processes and procedures. The HSE Advisor oversees all activities of the HSE department and provides advice to management and employees.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Plan, develop, implement, coordinate, evaluate, and update Ralmax Contracting Ltd's HSE policies, procedures and programs;
- Develop annual health and safety plans for the site based on a full review of health and safety-related needs (assessment of hazards, analysis of database, audits, changing legislation and best practices) as required by all applicable legislations;
- Review occupational health and safety legislation, amendments and best practices to optimize occupational health and safety programs;
- Provide all levels of the site with advice related to health and safety matters, legislative requirements and best practices in the field;
- Represent management in matters of health and safety with the government, health and safety associations and other outside agencies and organizations;
- Provide management with reports on WSIB/WCB incidents and injuries, lost time injuries, health-related absenteeism and other occupational health and safety information;
- Responsible for the training and development of HSE staff and completing timely performance management, including coaching, mentoring, and providing opportunities for growth. Manage employee time off and other related management tasks;
- Provide advice and guidance to Managers (where needed) and supervisors to return injured employees (as soon as possible) to productive work following an injury;
- Ensure that accidents are investigated thoroughly and effectively, and are responded appropriately as required, including communicating to, training and following up with supervisors and employees;
- Ensure that work refusals are properly investigated and that any necessary corrections to the work processes are implemented and documented;
- Ensure successful safety orientation and training for all new employees, existing employees and visitors to make certain complete and effective understanding of potential risks and expected behaviors within the site;
- Develop a matrix of training requirements, maintain records of all health and safety-related training and assist in the development of rollout programs;
- Lead an annual health and safety program audit to ensure the effectiveness of occupational health and safety programs at the site;
- Develop and manage internal health and safety audits, including risk assessments, at varying levels, and act as a trainer/advisor to internal auditors;
- Oversee and ensure the successful coordination of inspections, investigations, and occupational health and safety activities within various departments;
- With the team, monitor, amend and update the site's HSE Handbook;
- Oversee the support and promotion of occupational health, wellness and safety department initiatives;
- Act as a resource to or serve as a member on the Joint Health and Safety Committee, assisting and providing information and responses on behalf of Ralmax Contracting Ltd.;
- Prepare and manage the occupational health and safety budget with the General Advisor;
- Ensure the documentation and retention of all health and safety-related records for the prescribed time limits;
- Other duties within the scope of the position, as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary school diploma or degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related field of study;
- Occupational Health and Safety Certificate, as per the Occupational Health & Safety Act/Regulations;
- Experience in creating an occupational health and safety management system such as Worksafe BC Certificate of Recognition (COR);
- Minimum 5 years' experience with occupation health and safety management;
- Experience with disability management, accident investigation, workplace inspection and job hazard analysis is preferred;
- Proven ability to effectively plan and direct the work of the department and manage its staff and resolve conflict in a positive and constructive manner;
- Willing to actively participate in continuous professional development throughout the course of employment;
- Proficiency with HSE database applications and administration systems (e.g., Microsoft Office, Site Docs, DATS).
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety management, applicable federal, provincial and municipal regulations/legislation, Workplace Safety & Insurance Act, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations and applicable Human Rights;
- Knowledge of WSIB/WCB/STD/LTD processes and procedures, including WSIB/WCB, claims management and related legislation;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail;
- Ability to set goals and manage multiple projects and initiatives;
- Ability to set, commit to and meet deadlines;
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt to changing business needs;
- Mature, professional and optimistic attitude;
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment;
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing;
- Proven ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and records;
- Service and team-oriented;
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment;
- Tact, diplomacy, flexibility, listening and persuasion skills.
- Physical ability to lift up at least 50lbs;
- Travel to off-site locations may be required;
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Hazards associated with the trade;
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals;
- Interacts with employees, management and the public at large;
- Work both indoors and outdoors.
Job Type: Full-time